All About Identical Twins
One of nature’s mysteries is that of Identical Twins!
Though there are many misconceptions including, they look exactly the
same, even act alike and have the same interests, you could say a clone!
Parents of identical - monozygotic twins know better, and being a mother of identicals this is far from the truth.
My Mono-zygotic Twins Story
My little girls, according to others are hard to tell
apart, but being there mother I think they look quite different and
their personalities are not alike at all. For
example one loves adventure and isn’t scared to try new things while the
other loves to be at home and around familiar things.
What are Identical Twins?
Mono-zygotic twins are basically two babies produced from one embryo (one
egg and one sperm), this embryo divides in half creating two of the
same sexed babies. Their DNA is the tell tale way of knowing 100% that
they are identical. Sharing a placenta and/or amniotic sac, or
twin to twin transfusion syndrome
can also be indicators.
16 Facts about Monozygotic Twins - Identical
- Monozygotic twinning is an unknown
phenomenon. No one is really sure why the egg splits and is technically
an abnormality of normal development, this is a random occurrence. But
what a wonderful abnormality this is don't you think.
- They always have different fingerprints.
- Fertility treatments like
IVF or drugs are unlikely to influence mono-zygotic twinning. But that is
not to say because you have any type of fertility treatment this won’t
- About 25% of all monozygotic twins are called
Mirror Image Twins. This means one maybe right handed while the other is left handed.
- Identical (mono-zygotic)
twins make up about a third of all twins. Strangely fraternal twins of
the same gender and fraternal twins of opposite genders also make up
about one third each of all twins.
- They almost have identical DNA. Though once that egg has split the DNA develops individually this is why they are almost the same and not exactly the same.
- They do not run in
families. Some people may think otherwise due to a high rate of
monozygotic twin occurrences in their family, it’s all by chance and
just a coincidence. You could even say extremely good luck.
- Monozygotic multiples can be of different genders, but is very rear. This is due to genetic abnormalities.
- Identical twin babies have very
similar brainwaves, so maybe they really can think alike and have the
ability to finish each others sentences, as well as knowing what each
other is thinking.
- Though the birth rate of twins has increase over the years, monoz-ygotic twinning has remained stable.
- Your chance of having identical twins is 1 in every 250 births.
- Studies have shown that in
general identical twins will live longer than fraternal twins, possibly
due to the fact of their close communication.
- Depending on when the egg
splits they will either share a placenta or have their very own.
Identicals will share a placenta if the egg splits after one week.
- Some people say that twins
have a secret language but in fact it is more likely to be mispronounced
words that each twin understands.
- Multiples are individuals; though they may share the same favorite color they each have different likes and dislikes.
- They don’t always look exactly alike.
Back to Twin Types from Identical Twins
Return to Having Twins home page