What a Struggle

by Jaimie Rutland
(Pensacola, Fl)

Breastfeeding Twins Jaimie's Journey
A Long Road Ahead...

My twins Ellis and McKenzie were born at 33 weeks. The delivery was traumatic, following a blood transfusion I was finally released from the hospital after having spent 45 days during my pregnancy on hospital bedrest. My babies were in the NICU for 2 weeks. Ellis progressed well, eating more and more at almost each feeding. McKenzie, however had a distended tummy and was taken off of feeding entirely for 3 days. The Drs finally started her feedings at the end of the 3rd day. She started off only eating 3mLs at each feeding. As the days went on naturally her feedings were increased thus resulting in my frustration. I was producing more than enough milk for one baby, but not quite enough for two babies. Ellis and McKenzie were released from the NICU on Day 13 and Day 14.

I pumped every 2-2.5 hours trying to keep my milk supply coming. After having seeked out help from a lactation consultant I started taking Blessed Thistle and Fenurgreek to boost my supply. Those supplements didn't work. I tried to get my babies to nurse but they seemed to tire out before they received a sufficient amount of milk. I went to my Dr. and got an Rx for Reglan. After taking the medication for 3 days I finally saw an increase in my supply. And I continued to pump. We could continue to "practice" nursing, but I kept pumping to maintain the demand.

Almost 2 weeks after the babies came home I received a phone call. I was phoned and informed that my Grandfather was in the hospital dying. It was up for 36 hours, half of which were spent at his bedside. Without pumping I stayed at his side so he wouldn’t die alone. He kept saying he wanted to meet his Great-Grand babies before he died.

Beyond engorged I finally went home, I needed to pump and I needed to sleep and eat. I pumped a total of 6 times only getting 20mLs of breast milk from each pumping. I was finally able to get some sleep and grab a bite to eat. My papa got to meet his great grand babies... and 34 hours after holding them he went to be with the Lord. He died at 9:30pm Oct. 17, 2011.

It was a difficult journey, and though my babies are now strictly formula fed, they were able to get breast milk for their first month of life. I sometimes feel guilty that I am unable to provide natures best to them, but everything happens for a reason.

I believe God sent us our babies 7 weeks early so my grandfather would have the chance to meet his only great grand children. I am blessed in so many ways.

Comments for What a Struggle

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

I love all you and miss papa

Mother of identical 7mth boys
by: Elida


Just read your story and wanted to say that I am so sorry for your lost. May god bless u n yours. :-)

by: Anonymous

I love you guys! Grannie

by: Jaimie Rutland

My grandfather passed away Oct. 18.2011 at 9:30 PM

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Breastfeeding Twins.

Protected by Copyscape Originality Check

Twins Magazine Digital Subscription

Local Nanny Listings

Click here to visit Stuff 4 Multiples LLC

Subscribe To Having Twins Today!
For Your Free Newsletter

E-mail Address
First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Having Twins Today.

Find Out More!